The first requirement for an email campaign is to import a contacts list to whom you wish your email to be sent.
Event Gate allows for two common file formats which can exported from most contact databases (eg Outlook, Gmail, Excel etc). These formats are:
- CSV (comma separated values)
- Tab Delimited
Note: If your file name ends with “CSV” it is most likely in CSV format. If your file is in neither of these file formats, you can contact us for help required.
Once you have your file to be imported you need to ensure that Event Gate recognises the column names. Event Gate recognises the following column names:
Note: The field names in bold are the required minimum for the file to be imported successfully. The order of the columns is not important.
You will need to open you file in either a text editor or Microsoft Excel (or equivalent) for CSV files and ensure that you column heading names match exactly to those above to ensure your contact data is correctly imported.
Once you have your file ready, we can commence the import process as follows:
1. Go to the “Contacts” page.
2. Click the “Actions” menu and selected the “Import…” menu item.
3. Select the group to which you wish to add the imported contacts, the file import format (as described above) and a confirmation that you have authorisation to send emails to the contacts in this file, then click the “Import File” button.
Note: Any imported contacts will always be imported to the “All Contacts” group. Selecting a group other than “All Contacts” will mean that the imported contacts will exist in both the selected group and the “All Contacts Group”. If you wish to import your contacts to a new, you will need to add a new group first by clicking the “Add New Group” button in the “Groups” section.
4. Select the file you wish to import. Once the file has been selected, the import processing will begin. This may take some time depending on the number of contacts you are importing.
5. Once the import process has been completed you will receive a confirmation message similar to the one below:
This completes our tutorial on how to import contacts into Event Gate.